Thursday 12 February 2015

Quinoa Queen

Quinoa is just one of those things I've discovered a little too late in my life (to late for my liking, that is, I'm still young). It's always easy for me to order brunch when there's Quinoa on the menu - it's Quinoa or nada but of course when its not on the menu the ordering time sky rockets!



I was even more scared to try and recreate Quinoa salads at home but finally (with the holidays coming to a close) I have finally attempted it. I didn't really search for a specific recipe because in reality, anything (must be reasonable enough) can be tossed and enveloped in the Quinoa goodness! All I had to do was search for leftover veggies and the vinaigrette recipe (which there are endless!).

Without further ado this was my fancy lunch for today - If I could make it on my first go, you will be glorious!

Summery Quinoa with roast veg, mango and red wine vinaigrette

Ingredients (Serves 3)

Quinoa:
1 teaspoon oil, for frying
1 garlic clove, finely diced
1/2 C toasting Quinoa (or any quinoa of choice)
1 C water

Salad add ins (anything really - go for your life):
1 sweet potato (kumara), chopped and roasted
2 canned whole beetroots, chopped
6 pitted dried dates, chopped
1/2 avocado, sliced
1/2 small mango, chopped

Red wine vinaigrette:
1/8 C red wine vinegar
1/8 C olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pinch salt
1 pinch dried oregano leaves
1 grind of pepper
Bought this from Dr Earth in Newtown but not
sure what makes it "toasting Quinoa" :P
Best to follow packet instructions for different Quinoa! 

Method:
1. Soak Quinoa in water for 30 mins

2. Drain and rinse the Quinoa

3. Add oil to saucepan and fry your garlic until golden and fragrant

4. Now add your Quinoa and allow it t toast and become golden

5. Add the water and bring to a immer

6. Cover with the lid and simmer for 15 mins or until water all absorbed

7. After all water absorbed, give it a fluff and rest it with lid to cover

8. For the vinaigrette, just combine all dressing ingredients in small bowl :)

Plating!
9. Begin with a bed of Quinoa

10. Pretty self explanatory, in goes the salad add ins with a drizzle
of the vinaigrette over the top!

11. Photo moment before you dig in!


I need to work up the ranks a little before I truly become Quinoa Queen but for now there are no excuses! That was almost dead easy! The only hiccup may come from the cooking of the Quinoa but you should be all G if you follow the packet instructions!

I challenge you to take advantage of the seasonal produce and to add bursts of colous! Try another vinaigrette is red wine is not "your thang".


It's been fun making this today! Feel a little fancy today - you can only go so long with the microwave as your weapon for lunch :P


MVPD xx






0 comments:

Post a Comment